Thirty percent fall in battery storage costs needed

30% fall in battery storage costs necessary for future viability of UK projects

According to Foresight, leading UK battery storage investors, a 30% reduction in energy storage costs is required to make future UK projects feasible without relying on revenues from frequency response contracts.

Katherine Vinnicombe, investment manager for Foresight, said that four-year enhanced frequency response contracts make up 70% of development costs of two of their battery energy storage projects. This leaves just 30% of development costs to be recouped from other revenue streams.

Frequency response services are a lucrative revenue stream for UK energy storage projects but the market is already reaching saturation point. National Grid currently expect to need approximately 400 MW of such services, of which 200 MW has already been allocated. This leaves a meagre 200 MW on the table for other energy storage projects.

With more battery storage capacity expected to be completed this year, Vinnicombe expects frequency response contract prices to fall as saturation increases. Claire Spedding, head of business development for National Grid, warned energy storage developers not to depend on frequency response contracts for their future revenue streams.

Without access to income from frequency response contracts, Vinnicombe predicts storage technology costs must fall 30% further to make standalone battery storage projects economically feasible.

Vinnicombe highlighted the possibility of co-located projects, adding battery energy storage to existing wind and solar facilities, as an economically viable way of adding energy storage to the grid. This method has seen recent success with Anesco’s Clay Hill solar farm project, the first to be developed without subsidies in the UK. Vinnicombe stressed, however, that such projects require particular circumstances to be viable.

While currently, standalone energy storage projects without revenue from frequency response would have to rely entirely upon income from arbitrage and balancing mechanism access, Vinnicombe suggested that future opportunities could be available in behind the meter applications such as peak shaving.

Read the original article

If you want to know more about this and other topics directly from end users of energy storage technologies join us at one of these annual events: The Energy Storage World Forum (Grid Scale Applications), or The Residential Energy Storage Forum, or one of our Training Courses.


When Global Green Economy Met Energy Storage

Our energy system is dynamically evolving. The realization of the urgency towards Net Zero, Green economies has been more pressing than ever. The energy transformation serving a more sustainable future, safeguarding our ecosystem and protecting our planet is of paramount importance for many developed and developing nations across the globe. In this analysis, we delve…

Read More

The UK National Energy Grid – A Story of Islands, Trading, and Energy Storage

As first seen in Energy Global, grid software acts as a modern-day map, helping to chart and navigate today’s energy grids; software engineers are tasked with carefully delineating how each region’s energy markets operate. However, looking more closely at energy markets makes clear how unique each market is – each defined by different topography, resources,…

Read More

Product Development: Embracing product safety and compliance

PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT: EMBRACING PRODUCT SAFETY AND COMPLIANCE Recent safety incidents on storage plants have raised concerns about the fire safety of battery storage systems. Such events are extremely rare compared to the cumulated global deployments of energy storage systems, which have reached more than 27 GWh by end of 2020 (Wood Mackenzie 2021). However, for…

Read More


“Probably the most interactive and well organized storage event on the calendar.”


Sales Director, S&C

“Great topics, competent speakers, good networking: keep it like that.”



“High scientific content, well targeted, perfect organization.”


Expert Technical & Governance, Elia

Excellent networking event. The sponsorship was well worth it.”


Manager, ATL

View More